5 Interesting Facts You (Probably) Didn't Know
1. In the 1750s, there was a wild tea leaf discovered there - today, it is home to Europe's only tea plantation!
2. A specialty there is 'Cozido das Furnas', a mixture of vegetables and meat cooked underground by geothermal heat.
3. There is an abandoned hotel that offers one of the best views of Sao Miguel. It is called Monte Palace Hotel and is soon undergoing renovations.
4. All 9 volcanic Azorean islands have hot springs to swim in.
5. The Azores are also home to Europe's only pineapple plantation. The pineapples are sweet and some of the best in the world.